Saturday, August 22, 2026

the great "changing of the majors"

when I chose communications as a major, I chose it because it was broad. I'd like to call myself a very creative person. I blog, I used to be a chief editor on my school's yearbook, I created their first monthly magazine, I partook in theatre my entire high school career--and even was employed professionally as a theatrical technician, I create short films--I even directed my own this last school year with my best friend--and partake in photography; I do SO many creative things. but I simply can't pick one, but there is something inside of me that doesn't want me to chose the safe "broad" option.

I want to be able to specialize in something and put my heart and soul into one thing but I simply can't decide. I talked to my boyfriend today about this and he said, "picture what you wanted to do when you were little, and what would make the younger version of yourself proud." even then, when I think about it, I wanted to do literally everything--so much that my parents were sick of it and had to limit my extracurriculars.

so I simply don't know what to do.

beyond creative things, I have a passion for medicine and following in my late grandpa's steps of being a doctor. and I love history and the study of politics and different cultures.

I know it'll take time to figure out, and that college is the perfect time to do so, but I feel lost and I'm worried I'll never figure it out.

any ideas?


1 comment:

  1. Oh honey I promise all is okay. I switched my major two times before settling on Journalism. At first it was creative writing, since that's my passion, but it felt too limiting in the job sphere and I was worried about finding work or work driving away my passion. Then I tried Media Production & Management, and that switch is what made me realize I actually wanted nothing to do with production or cameras or lighting or rigging. Then I gave journalism a shot, the digital/print track, and not broadcast, and I loved it. It gave me a chance to write and be social, and there's plenty of job areas you can go with it. Unfortunately, it's also a pretty saturated field, so finding stable work out of school has been a bit difficult, but from what I understand, the job market is pretty harsh all around. My point, though, is that there's nothing wrong with not knowing, and there's nothing wrong with trying and not making the right choice at first. Don't put too much pressure on yourself! I'm sure you'll figure it out! Good luck from https://countercritique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete